Wednesday, February 17, 2016

October 13, 1943

From: Pvt. Geo. Gleasure 31157709, CoE. 12th Inf. A.P.O. #4, U.S. Army, Camp Gordon, Johnston, Florida
To: Mr. Frank Gleasure, 56 Gardner Street, Allston Mass. (Boston)

Dear Pa:-

Arrived here Monday afternoon about six after a very long and dirty train trip and was very tired so didn't feel much like writing so I washed up and went to bed & yesterday we made a twenty five mile hike & you should have seen them dropping out, the weather was very hot & we were walking on an asphalt highway with full field packs & they dropped off like flies, I made it all the way myself but my feet are so sore I can hardly walk & I don't intend to do a thing till they improve.  How is the weather up there, is it cold yet?  I got all the letters & papers when I got here so the mail is up to date.  Well I don't know of much else to write about so I'll close till I hear from you again.

I didn't fall out of the hike myself because they only force you to get up and walk anyway, they all had to come in on foot no matter what the condition was, so you see there is nothing we can do but just take it because if we don't they make things damn hard for us if we try to buck against them.  Well this is all for now.  So write soon.

Luck
Geo.

Tell the others I'll write after I get a little rest, and don't forget - Don't put 4th Inf. Div. on any mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment